Between the 18th and 20th century, various famous figures in history and art had the pleasure of visiting Villa Widmann – also known as Villa Sceriman, Foscari, Costanzo – built on the shores of the river Brenta, in Mira (Venice), in the 18th century.
Historical accounts report the great playwright Carlo Goldoni stayed here, guest of his close friend Ludovico Widmann, an aristocrat from Carinthia and great theater enthusiast. In fact, Goldoni dedicated to Widman his famous “The Coffee Shop”, as well as a poem titled “The Pilgrim”.
The Patriarch of Venice, Cardinal Giuseppe Sarto (who rose to the papal throne as Pius X in 1903) also had the chance to enjoy the villa’s redundant Rococo swirls and its ballroom’s frescoes, painted by Giuseppe Angeli.
Russian composer Igor Stravinsky loved to walk in the garden, dotted with cupids and nymphs carved in soft stone.
One more famous guest, writer Gabriele D’Annunzio – a good friend of owner, Count Pietro Foscari – described these statues as “a lost people, still white, or gray, or yellow from lichen, or greenish from moss, or spotted, and in every disposition and with every gesture: goddesses, heroes, nymphs, Seasons, Hours…”
Now imagine being one of the guests who could just walk into such a beautiful place…