Although it was founded in 1922, the Scuola Mosaicisti del Friuli in Spilimbergo, in Friuli, drives its roots in a centuries-old local tradition. It was indeed in the 1500s that craftsmen from this region started flocking to Venice, where the art of making mosaics – developed in Roman and Byzantine times – had found its ideal capital.
Craftsmen from Friuli brought with them the colored stones of their rivers, the Meduna and the Tagliamento, and began to export their skills and expertise to France, the Americas, Australia.
The school in Spilimbergo is the crowning glory of this creative tradition that started generations ago. Here, from the beginning of the last century, mosaic art embraces its magnificence of its past as well as the need for renewal that the present and future demand.
Far from ever coming to an end, this artisans’ journey continues to this day. The unmistakable touch of the school’s masters stands out in the Foro Italico in Rome, in Venice’s railway station, in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, in the subway station at Ground Zero in New York, in the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes in France, in Quebec City’s “Maison Simons”…
The colors of the Friuli rivers run through the veins of the world.