The mysterious origin of the San Vittore alle Chiuse Abbey

San Vittore alle Chiuse (or delle Chiuse), in Genga, Ancona, is a Romanesque abbey that belongs to a group of four churches in Marche “dating back to the 11th and 12th centuries, which are unique in the region” according to Maura Medri’s book “Sentinum 295 a.C.-Sassoferrato 2006” (L’Erma di Bretschneider, Rome 2008).

What do the four buildings have in common? They all have the same “quincuncial floor plan”, in which “a Greek cross is inscribed in a quadrangular space, with the inner space featuring nine bays, three apses dividing the back wall, and two counterposed apses where the side walls are.” According to Medri, this layout “originated in the East, and reached the height of popularity in Byzantine churches in Greece and the Balkans.”

Built between 1060 and 1080 AD, San Vittore alla Chiuse was the prototype for the other three churches in this group: Santa Croce in Sassoferrato, Santa Maria delle Moje in Jesi, and San Claudio al Chienti in Corridonia.

The roots of its style, however, remain quite mysterious. Medri writes, “Some say these churches are deutero-Byzantine because they imitate the typical models of the Second Golden Age of the Byzantine Empire, when the quincuncial layout came into fashion – to be later developed in the architecture of Armenian churches and Greek monasteries, and in other structures in some Slavic and Balkan areas. It is not clear how this architectural model made its way to Marche, but most theories revolve around the contacts between this territory and the Greek-Byzantine area, or the intermediation by Venice or the Exarchate of Ravenna.”

Whatever the mystery behind it, the beauty of this abbey is clear for all to see.

Photos via ©Ariano Falzolgher, ©Nik, ©Gianpiero, ©Antonino Paolini, ©Guy Montag2011

The mysterious origin of the San Vittore alle Chiuse Abbey

San Vittore Terme, frazione di Genga (An)
Via San Vittore Terme, near the "San Vittore alle Chiuse" thermal complex

WEEKLY POSTCARD

Most Read

After the slopes of the Dolomites, après-ski by LOOX

by Barbara Palladino LOOX is an après-ski hotspot, at the station at the foot of the Obereggen Latemar ski and trekking area in the Dolomites. It...

The wondrous Gothic, medieval frescoes of the Oratory of San Pellegrino

The Oratory of San Pellegrino is located in Bominaco, a hamlet not far from Caporciano, in the province of L'Aquila. It was probably commissioned...

LUMEN: a museum of photography, 2,275 meters up high

by Barbara Palladino On the top of the Kronplatz (or Plan de Corones), near Brunico (Bolzano) – an enchanted place that only the mountains could create...

Sicilian Moor heads: a legend of universal love

by Barbara Palladino “Moor heads” or “teste di moro” are colorful, ceramic vases that represent the face of a man and a woman, with a...