The Giants’ Grave in Coddu Vecchiu (Arzachena, Sardinia) is a specimen of the very ancient funerary monuments that were widespread during the Nuragic Age in Sardinia. Many more can be found throughout the island, and especial in its central territories, dating back to various eras: from the 2nd millennium BC to the 2nd century AD.
The name “Giants’ Grave” derives from the folk tale inspired by the incredible number of bones these caves contained, which made people think they must have been the remnants of some fantastic, huge creatures’ lavish banquets.
In fact, these funerary structures – with large rooms up to thirty meters long and 3 meters tall, buried so they somewhat resembled upside-down boats – were used as collective tombs for entire populations.
The Giants’ Grave in Coddu Vecchiu was built in local granite between 1800 and 1600 BC, and renovated between 1600 and 1300 BC. It has a gallery approximately ten meters tall and four meters wide.
In front, the typical semicircle area has the largest stele ever found in Sardinia right in the middle.
It was, perhaps, meant for the giants.