At the center of the fountain he created in Syracuse, Giulio Moschetti (1847-1909) portrayed Diana, the goddess of the hunt, in all of her calm and pride.
At her feet, Alpheus looks on in amazement as his beloved Arethusa turns into a fountain: appalled by the river god’s erotic pursuit, the nymph had asked for Diana’s help, leading to her metamorphosis. She sunk into the ground and emerged on the island of Ortygia, the oldest part of the Sicilian city. According to legend, that is the origin of the spring named after Arethusa.
The reinforced concrete sculpted group in Piazza Archimede also includes Tritons and Pistrices, and was built between 1906 and 1907.