The ecstasy of Blessed Ludovica Albertoni is highlighted by the sunlight filtering through two small, hidden windows. In this work – one of his last, completed in 1671 when he was already over seventy years old – the great Gian Lorenzo Bernini captured the nature of mystical visions as a pure gift of light.
The statue – representing the saintly Franciscan tertiary, who lived in Rome between 1474 and 1533 – is in the Altieri Chapel in the church of San Francesco a Ripa in Trastevere. It is laid on a magnificent jasper drape, above the altar.
It is interesting to note that Giorgio De Chirico was buried in this same church, dedicated to Saint Francis of Assisi, who stayed here in 1219.