Author: Barbara Palladino
Translation by Michelle Nebiolo
The De Filippo brothers were regulars at the time they treated the boards in Milan, and Vittorio De Sica unfailingly sipped his cocktail in one of its rooms inside the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele: the Camparino was opened in 1867 by Gaspare Campari, and after a few decades when it was known as “Caffè Miani”, it has returned to its original name in 2012, thanks to the famous aperitif brand’s sponsorship.
The bar has made the history of Milan’s “aperitivo” culture with rivers of club soda and red bitter, establishing its role as a landmark in the city’s scene thanks to classics such as the Americano, Negroni, Shaken Campari, and Lavorato Secco.
Last year, the Camparino was revamped with a careful restyling by Lissoni Associati, who maintained its Art Nouveau charm while adding a modern touch.
While quick, on-the-go service is still available directly at the counter on the ground floor, the upper level is now dedicated to aperitifs, dinner and after dinner drinks complemented by chef Davide Oldani’s menu, where Campari cocktails meet the traditional dish “pan’cott”. Downstairs, the Gaspare Campari Room can instead be reserved for tastings and private events.
Camparino in Galleria
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II