From the vineyards of the Augustinian Canons Regular Monastery of Neustift – a subdivision of the municipality of Vahrn, near Brixen, in the province of Bolzano – comes a range of white wines that are typical of the Eisack Valley: Sylvaner, Müller Thurgau, Kerner, Gewürztraminer, Veltliner.
Here, winemaking tradition dates back to the foundation of the monastery, in 1142. Soon after being elected bishop of Brixen, the blessed Hartmann, provost of the Augustinian Abbey in Klosterneuburg, near Vienna, asked the burgrave of Sebato, Reginbert, and his wife Christina to help him build the abbey, only three kilometers away from the city.
The local aristocracy bestowed on the Augustinian canons the lands where they soon started to plant vines.
Wine production has been a constant in the history of Neustift, which over the centuries has transformed and grown. It now shines with Gothic charms – including a cloister with vaults and 14-century frescoes, an art gallery, and altars attributed to Friedrich Pacher – and late Baroque splendors, like the Abbey’s church with its luminous ‘theatrum sacrum’.
And among these wonders, you hear the echo of Psalm 103: “and that wine may cheer the heart of man”.