Sabaudia’s Post Office
Sabaudia’s Post Office building has the colors of the sea at sunset. The royal blue of the ceramic facing tiles is complemented by the red Siena marble of the door and window frames, and the straw yellow of the plaster ledge.
The story of the eventide hues that caress this part of the Tyrrhenian coast during the summer is told with geometric grace by this palace – considered one of the most important examples of rationalist architecture from the early 1900s.
Conceived by one of the main leading figures in Marinetti’s futurist movement, Angelo Mazzoni, Sabaudia’s Post Office was designed and built between 1932 and 1934, the same years in which the town was created. Sabaudia is one of several towns that were founded on the reclaimed marshland of the Agro Pontino during Fascism, and is considered one of the most important symbols of Italian rationalism in architecture.
This aerodynamic building, with its horizontal chromatisms, never lets the horizon – between sky and sea – out of its sight.