Richard Ginori 1735 embraces the memory of its origin, including in its trademark a clear reference to the year in which the first factory was founded by Florentine marquise Carlo Ginori.
A politician, entrepreneur, and “amateur scientist” – as he was described in his time – Ginori gave life to Sesto Fiorentino’s “Manifattura di Doccia” (“Doccia manufactory”) in one of his country estates. The structure would develop and grow, quickly becoming one of the most prestigious porcelain factories in Europe.
A bright beginning sparked by a crisis: in 1735 the local political situation was at a critical point, as power over the Grand Duchy of Tuscany went from the hands of the Medici family to the house of Habsburg-Lorraine. The negative repercussions had reached the rural village of Sesto Fiorentino, which needed to open up to new commercial horizons.
The company was immediately successful and flourished until 1896, when another crisis struck – a financial one this time. Again, difficulty was the opportunity for a new beginning, with the acquisition by Milan’s Società Ceramica Richard giving way to the new Richard Ginori brand.
Industrious and incredibly creative craftsmen, workmen, and designers made the company an amazing example of Italian excellence, renown and appreciated around the whole world.
In the beginning of 2013, after a period of decline, Richard Ginori went out of business, leaving 314 employees living on unemployment insurance. It seems this story of beauty and excellence has reached its final page.
Yet, we still hope for a new beginning. As French poet, Jules Laforgue wrote, “All is well that has no end”.