Moto Guzzi 500 GP, the “Romana”
The 500 GP was launched in 1953, when Moto Guzzi – founded in Mandello del Lario in 1921 – decided to compete with the 4-cylinder Gilera that was always in the lead on the fast tracks.
The project was entrusted to Giannini, a car manufacturer in Rome. Hence the nickname “Romana” for the 500 GP, which engineer Carlo Gianini fitted with an in-line, 4-cylinder engine mounted longitudinally.
While it would never pose a great threat for Gilera – due to its limited agility on windy circuits – its power and beauty were always winning.