On May 30, 1796, Napoleon Bonaparte reached Borghetto sul Mincio. The Corsican general was leading the Italian campaigns of the French Revolutionary Wars against the Ancien Régime, and had to stop general Jean-Pierre de Beaulieu’s Austrian army after a partial victory in Lodi.
That day, the Austrians were defeated and retreated to the Adige.
Borghetto sul Mincio, a hamlet in Valeggio sul Mincio, in the province of Verona, has often been at the center of important battles up to the Renaissance.
Today, it is a beautiful and peaceful village, know for its Visconti Bridge (a fortified dam built by Gian Galeazzo Visconti), as well for the old bell of the church of Saint Mark the Evangelist.
Since 1381, its tolling has announced peace countless times.