The deconsecrated church of the Santissima Trinità in Annunziata, in Foligno, is now a museum hub and home to the “Cosmic Magnet” sculpted by mysterious artist Gino De Dominicis (1947-1998): a giant human skeleton – twenty-four meters tall by 9 meters wide – whose perfect anatomical proportions provide a stark contrast to a greatly oversized nose.
The building has a quite complex history: although consecrated in the second half of the 18th century, it was never fully completed (as is obvious looking at its façade, for example); after 1860 it was forfeited by the State and improperly used in a variety of ways; it was partially torn down in 1980 and terribly damaged in the 1997 earthquake that hit Umbria and Marche.
Finally, in 2011 it transformed into a museum hub – the Italian Center for Contemporary Art in Foligno. Its new structure was designed by Guendalina Salimei, owner of the T-Studio Architecture&Design in Rome.
Here are a few photos of the church after this recent “conversion”.