Villa Piovene da Schio and young Tiepolo
The beautiful Villa Piovene da Schio was built in the 1600s in Castelgomberto, Vicenza, on the gentle slope of a hill.
Construction for the Piovene family started in 1656 but took a decade to complete; the design was likely by architect Antonio Pizzocaro, who in those years created a number of Palladio-inspired villas in Vicenza, with austere and aristocratic style.
In the following century, Domenico Cerato – mostly active in Padua – extended the building with a portico on three sides. Also the beautiful Italian garden and the sculptures in it, by Orazio Marinali, date back to the 18th century.
The Villa’s main hall is home to three paintings by Giambattista Tiepolo, one of the most important artists in Venice’s 1700s. He painted them when he was just twenty years old.