Thirty years of abstract art in the Villa Croce Museum
The Villa Croce Museum in Genoa has been promoting contemporary art for over thirty years.
This peculiar and interesting civic museum opened in 1985, inside a 19th-century building that had been donated to the city by the Croce family in the 1950s.
It is home to abstract art pieces from the 1940-1980 period, coming from all over Italy and the world.
The precious collection was put together by Maria Cernuschi – who had married painter Gino Ghiringhelli and, since the 1930s, had decided to put her passion and patience into collecting drawings, sculptures, paintings and graphic art.
Today, the Villa Croce Museum constantly holds temporary exhibitions and organizes various events. Its permanent collection includes works by Osvaldo Licini and Atanasio Soldati, Lucio Fontana and Fausto Melotti, Claudio Olivieri and Arturo Martini, all the way to more recent pieces by Ben Vautier, Marta dell’Angelo and Adrian Paci.