The Officine Grandi Riparazioni: celebrating modern times
Once upon a time, Officine Grandi Riparazioni were one of the temples of industrialization in Turin, Italy. Under their slender brick arches, upheld by iron pillars, trains coming in for repair and maintenance clattered about a fine mesh of tracks.
The 20,000 square meters of this prodigious structure, shaped like an H, were built starting in 1885; they were home not only to the train works but also to a slaughterhouse, a prison, the cattle market and customhouse – that is what used to be called the “great services” (or “grandi servizi”, in Italian).
Like many other buildings from its time, the OGR quickly went from modernity to industrial archaeology, passing through a period of decline and disrepair.
After being abandoned in the 1990s, in 2013 the CRT Foundation took them over and redeveloped them into a hub for creativity, innovation and ideas, where daily music and visual arts events – concerts, exhibitions, performances, dance, shows – are held, as well as various interesting training activities.
Now the OGR are the place where Turin celebrates modern times’ new life.