The Imperial Villa in Pesaro
Pesaro’s Imperial Villa has a suspended hallway, like a “bridge” joining the two hearts of the building, which are two very different structures composing one of the most important examples of Italian Renaissance architecture.
The first complex – a country house that harks back to the Medicis’ style of architecture – was built in the second half of the 15th century on the initiative of Alessandro Sforza. His project was honored by Emperor Frederick III, who, passing in Pesaro in 1452, made the gesture of laying the first stone of the future Sforza residence.
The second building was built in the first half of the 16th century: it is the wing designed by architect Girolamo Genga, by the will of the Dukes of Urbino, Francesco Maria Della Rovere and Leonora Gonzaga. Genga included a beautiful cycle of frescoes by Francesco Menzocchi, Raffaellino del Colle, Camillo Mantua and the Dossi brothers. In this new wing open spaces predominate – balconies, courtyards, and gardens, where the aristocracy could enjoy their wonderful leisure time.
These two hearts of the Imperial Villa beat in synch. And their pace is, of course, the pace of beauty.