The imperial beauty of the Spring of Juturna in Rome
In March, an exhibition titled “Lacus Iuturnae. The sacred fountain of the Roman Forum” opened in Rome, at the Temple of Romolo along the “Sacra Via Summa”, near the Via dei Fori Imperiali.
The highlight of the event is a group of seven marble sculptures dating back to the late 2nd and early 1st century BC, found in 1900, which originally decorated the fountain just a stone’s throw from the Temple of Romolo.
The statues – on display until September 20th, 2015 – portray Castor and Pollux (the Dioskouri) on their horses, an altar, Apollo, and the well from which the sacred water of nymph Juturna could be collected.
Curated by Patrizia Fortini and the National Institute for Archaeology and Art History, this is a remarkable opportunity to enjoy a token of the marble beauty that once covered the whole area of the Palatine Hill.