The church and convent of Saint Bonaventure in Caltagirone
The church and convent of Saint Bonaventure, built in the first half of the 17th century in Caltagirone, make up a monumental complex, full of many works of art.
Located in the northwest section of the gorgeous Sicilian city, the church has a longitudinal plan with interior partitions making for five side chapels on each side. It features extraordinary frescoes – some of which attributed to Pietro Paolo Vasta, considered one of the major Sicilian painters of the 18th century – as well as paintings on canvas, statues, stuccos and a ceramic-tile floor.
The most famous works inside the church – which was rebuilt after an earthquake in 1693 – are a Madonna by great Renaissance sculptor Antonello Gagini, the altarpiece by Vincenzo Ruggeri and a wooden Crucifix by Umile da Petralia.
Turned into a prison in 1890, it was closed in the late 1900s. The crypts were closed in 1843 and never reopened to the public, despite a renovation project in 1990. The structure – currently in great disrepair – is the focus of some of FAI’s initiatives that could finally protect it.
Largo della Croce, 2