Statues and masterpieces of Fermo’s Palazzo dei Priori
One of the halls in the Picture Gallery of Palazzo dei Priori, in Fermo, is home to the battered wooden statue of a medieval soldier, which over time has become a symbol of the beautiful town in Marche.
Locals call it “lu Marguttu”: it probably is a puppet once used in an old festival, and some scholars believe its name derives from Amurat Dragut, a Barbary pirate who took part in the Battle of Lepanto in 1571.
The splendid palace also features another statue over the central loggia: an imposing, bronze piece that represents Marche-born pontiff Sixtus V, bishop of Fermo from 1571 to 1577.
Fermo’s Palazzo dei Priori – which was given its current fan-shaped profile in the 1500s, incorporating a 13th-century building and a church dedicated to Saint Martin – is also home to a masterpiece of Baroque painting, “The Adoration of the Magi” by Pieter Paul Rubens.
Finally, inside you’ll find the Archaeological Museum and the Spezioli Library: the oldest and most prestigious in Marche, it developed around the Globe Hall – named after its wonderful and extremely detailed handwritten globe, which was designed by cartographer Amanzio Moroncelli in 1713.