Palladio’s Barchessa at Villa Pisani
Andrea Palladio was a the great Paduan architect (1508-1580) famous for the many villas he designed in the region of the Venetian republic, including the beautiful Villa Pisani di Bagnolo di Lonigo, in the province of Vicenza, in the first half of the 16th century.
In his “The Four Books of Architecture”, he described the so-called “barchesse” (a portico with tall arches, typically destined to storage) as follows:
The covertures for the things belonging to a villa, must be made suitable to the estate and number of animals; and in such manner joined to the master’s habitation, that he may be able to go to every place under cover, that neither the rains, nor the scorching sun of the summer, may be a nuisance to him, when he goes to look after his affairs; which will also be of great use to lay wood in under cover, and an infinite number of things belonging to a villa, that would otherwise be spoiled by the rains and the sun: besides which these portico’s will be a great ornament.
Today, the Barchessa at Villa Pisani di Bagnolo has become a country house with 15 rooms and halls available for meetings, weddings, conferences, and seminars.