Palazzo Ziino’s Gipsothèque of Sicilian artists (with two exceptions)
There is a special 19th-century building in Palermo that is home to a beautiful collection of plaster casts by Sicilian artists: it’s Palazzo Ziino, which opened in 1895 on the central Via Dante.
The precious collection includes some sixty pieces – sculptures and bas-reliefs – created between the mid-1800s and the early 1900s, and is on display on the first floor, in the Gipsothèque of the “Empedocle Restivo” Civic Modern Art Gallery.
Ettore Ximenes, Bernardo Balistreri, Domenico Costantino, Antonio Ugo, Mario Rutelli (whom we mentioned in our interview with Francesco Rutelli a while back) are all included in the collection, with works from Palermo’s Modern Art Gallery.
But there are also two non-Sicilian artists in the mix: Francesco Ciusa, from Sardinia, and Julius Van Biesbroeck, from Belgium