The long history of Palazzo Citterio
Welcome to Milan’s Palazzo Citterio – an 18th-century building that faces Via Brera on one side and is right next to the Botanical Gardens on the other.
On April 18th to 20th 2018, it was opened to the public so anyone interested could catch a glimpse of the amazing renovation it had undergone.
In fact, restoring this aristocratic building – which dates back to 1764 and was purchased by the State in 1972 – has been a complex and straining endeavor for almost forty years: four decades in which a variety of plans were proposed within the “Grande Brera” project, which aims to completely upgrade the complex that also includes the Fine Arts Academy, Botanical Gardens, Astronomical Observatory and Brera Picture Gallery.
Last fall, an exhibition organized by the director of the Pinacoteca di Brera, James Bradburne – aptly titled “Brera ascolta” (“Brera Listens”) – even collected visitors’ suggestions for the future setup of the 20th-century works destined to Palazzo Citterio.
Indeed, the palazzo’s 6,500 square meters are destined to welcome the 20th-century collections of Milan’s most important ancient and modern national art gallery, as well as temporary exhibition spaces, halls for conferences and screenings, a bookshop and a cafeteria.
At the moment, however, Palazzo Citterio is closed – patiently waiting for good news about its destiny.