Palazzo Bonaparte and Madama Letizia’s balcony
Palazzo Bonaparte – whose main façades look over Rome’s Piazza Venezia and Via del Corso – is one of the most important buildings by architect Giovanni Antonio De Rossi, who worked on it between 1657 and 1677 for marquises Giuseppe and Benedetto d’Aste.
On 9 July 2019, this wonderful 3,000-square-meter treasure of mosaics, frescoes and stuccos celebrated the success of a period of redevelopment that turned it into a new hub of art and culture in the city, within the “Value and Culture” program promoted by Arthemisia (leading company in international exhibition production) in partnership with Generali Real Estate SGR. Palazzo Bonaparte is now destined to exhibitions and cultural and educational events, with a particular focus on families and younger audiences, and will open to the public on 6 October with a major show on Impressionism.
Owned over time by the Cervini, Margani, D’Aste and Rinuccini families in Rome, the palazzo was purchased in 1818 by Maria Letizia Ramolino, Napoleon’s mother, who lived here until she died in 1836. She famously added a green balcony, still visible from the crossroads of Piazza Venezia and via del Corso, because she liked watching carriages go by.
The antechamber to her room features a plaster model of the monumental “Mars the Peacemaker” statue that Canova dedicated to her son, the Emperor.
Piazza Venezia, 5 – Rome