Lanificio Leo: one hundred and fifty years of creativity
Some historians say Lanificio Leo was founded in 1873, making the history of this textile company – currently headquartered in Soveria Mannelli, in the province of Catanzaro – almost one hundred and fifty years long so far. The company oversees the entire wool cycle, from yarn to weaving to finishing.
In the early years, people were astounded by the incessant work carried out in the factory by sixty-spindle machines, imagining a “devil weaving with sixty hands”.
After moving to different locations, in 1935 Lanificio Leo landed in Soveria Mannelli, where the availability of electricity and the proximity to major roads and railways allowed the owners to expand their investment in machinery and equipment as well as to hire more workers.
Today, Lanificio Leo is also a wonderful Enterprise Museum – a space of one thousand square meters where the wool cycle is repeated every day, experimenting new products on the basis of “low technology” dynamics, suggesting original and surprising creative ideas.