Greetings from 18th-century Rome
Spring of the Nymph Egeria in the Caffarella Park
Here is a series of Roman postcards sent straight from the 1700s: illustrations inspired by “Accurata e succinta descrizione topografica delle antichità di Roma” by Cortona historian and archaeologist Ridolfino Venuti (1705-1763).
The book was divided into two volumes and published in 1763 – too late for Venuti to see it, unfortunately.
The copper engravings were created by various artists, including Jean Barbault, Philotée-François Duflos, Niccolò Mogalli, Jean-Laurent Legeay and Giovanni Battista Piranesi.
Greetings from Rome!
Mausoleum of Cecilia Metella
Circus of Maxentius (mistakenly called "Circus of Caracalla"), on Via Appia Antica
Column of Marcus Aurelius, in Piazza Colonna
The Pantheon, in Piazza della Rotonda
Piazza del Popolo
The Pyramid of Cestius
The Milvian Bridge
The Porticus Octaviae
The Temple of Juno Regina
Sepulcher in Porta Capena
The Theater of Marcellus
The Temple of Portunus, once known as Temple of Virile Fortune (Church of Santa Maria Egiziaca until 1916)
Temple of Hercules Victor (also known as "Temple of Vesta")
The cenotaph of Annia Regilla, on the Via Appia Antica (known as "Temple of Rediculo" at the time)
The Temple of Hadrian in Piazza di Pietra (known as "Temple of Antoninus Pius" at the time, and headquarters of the Vatican Customs)
The Baths of Caracalla
The grand hall of the Baths of Caracalla
The Church of Sant'Urbano alla Caffarella, built over the remains of the so-called Temple of Bacchus, which was actually dedicated to Ceres and Faustina
September 28, 2016