Capodimonte’s Finest, the tradition of Neapolitan porcelain
Capodimonte’s Finest is one of the modern brands that uphold a wonderful tradition of Neapolitan craftsmanship dating back from the 18th century – when the ancient excellence of majolica gave way to porcelain.
Paolo Colombo has explained, “Thanks to the interest shown by the Kings of Bourbon – first Ferdinand, then Charles, and finally Ferdinand VI – Naples became one of the major European centers, with Sèvres and Meissen, where the complex techniques used to work with porcelain could be learned. After Ferdinand IV’s attempts to start porcelain factories in Portici and Naples, the Real Fabbrica di Capodimonte was founded in 1743 by King Charles.”
“The aesthetic lines developed by the Real Fabbrica,” Colombo goes on, “are still a fundamental canon for Capodimonte porcelain makers. Pieces from the 18th century are treasured in three local museums: the National Museum of Capodimonte, the “Duca di Martina” National Ceramic Museum, and the San Martino National Museum.”
“The style, models, shapes and decors of ‘Capodimonte’s artistic and traditional ceramic’ could be defined based on the features of the items preserved in these locations – funding in a way a trademark brand that enhances the present, local production” (translated from P. Colombo, “La grande Europa dei mestieri d’arte”, Vita e Pensiero, Milan 2007).
Here is a glimpse of Capodimonte’s finest.