A new beginning for the Alfa Romeo GTZ
The Alfa Romeo GTZ was officially presented as a prototype in 1962, and then manufactured industrially from 1963 to 1965. It was the car that brought the Milan-based brand back to the world of races, after years of uncertainty (Alfa Romeo didn’t even taken part in the Formula 1 championship from 1951 to 1971).
The GTZ – which stands for Giulia Tubolare Zagato: it has the classic line of the cars that came out of Terrazzano di Rho in those years – had a very light frame and no frills: comfort was not considered essential, because its goal was to win on the track. Pared down to the essential, indeed it won numerous victories both in Europe and in North America.
The particular GTZ portrayed in our gallery, however, never won a race: it came in first in the GT 1600 category at the 1964 Twelve Hours of Sebring, but thirteenth overall. Nevertheless, it was part of a fantastic new beginning.